BHA continue to monitor the updates on Coronavirus from the government and the NHS and will update this page with any changes made to our service.
If you have been affected by the virus or are self-isolating and you need to cancel an appointment with BHA or one of our contractors please contact us on 020 7704 2324 or email@example.com.
Current status: April 2021
- BHA’s office at Cloudesley Street is CLOSED as of Monday 16th March 2020 – phone lines remain open on 020 7704 2324 with staff working remotely. Please do not visit our offices at Cloudesley Street, Morland Mews or Highbury View.
- BHA is carrying out emergency repairs as a priority, with some routine and planned repairs taking place from April 2021, subject to contractors risk assessments and plans, with additional protection and guidance for contractors about any residents who might be self isolating. Residents may also be asked to enter another room for the duration of the repair and open windows for better ventilation.
- BHA continue to carry out annual gas safety checks and electrical safety tests and are contacting tenants ahead of these to find out if there is any reason to reschedule due to COVID-19. Any suspected gas leaks should continue to be notified to Cadent urgently.
- In March 2020, BHA wrote to residents informing them of the current situation and what support is available to them and making calls to residents we know are vulnerable to ensure they are aware of support available to them.
- Resident events at BHA’s community room at 60 Morland Mews and Highbury View have been suspended from Monday 16th March 2020.
- As of 20th May 2020 BHA are continuing to carry out works related to letting homes to residents. This will continue during lockdown restrictions as and when they arise.
- The football pitch at Morland Mews is open as of March 2020 with social distancing guidelines in place.
- In January 2021, BHA has again written to residents to update them on BHA’s service during the January 2021 lockdown and what support is available to them.
- BHA continues to make calls to residents that are vulnerable or in need of support.
During this time our contractors will carry out risk assessments before undertaking each repair. You can help us by having answers ready for the following questions:
- Are you aware of government guidance on social distancing and COVID-19?
- Are you or any of your household ill?
- Is your household self isolating?
- If so when did that start and when will it finish?
- Is the repair in place which allows you to move to a separate room while our operative is present?
Support for Residents
If you are struggling with coping during the pandemic or need help or support with things then Islington has some local services that may be able to help:
We are Islington is a service run by Islington Council to provide help and support to Islington residents. This can range from food parcels to mental health support.
- Pillion Trust – 020 7700-2498
Pillion Trust are an Islington-based charity that provide support to Islington residents and run a food bank.
Mutual aid groups are set up and run by local people to help and offer support to their neighbours and local community. This is a pure volunteer service to help with tasks that may prove difficult or unsafe to do so in these challenging times – whether it’s going to the grocery store, picking up a prescription, walking a dog, or wanting to have a friendly chat.
If you need help because of domestic violence, or suspect someone is suffering from domestic abuse, contact Solace in Islington for free, confidential support. Solace supports both men and women affected by domestic abuse.
- Barnsbury Housing Association also has a Hardship fund to support residents experiencing financial difficulties, such as utility bills. Find out more
Paying your rent
BHA’s office at Cloudesley Street is currently closed and we are unable to take payments here at the moment.
Claiming Universal Credit
If you have lost your source of income please apply for Universal Credit straight away. Visit www.gov.uk/universal-credit. Self-employed support schemes are also available. For help and support with your claim contact Barnsbury Housing Association for a welfare advice appointment.
Do you have a pre-pay meter for gas and electricity?
If you are self-isolating and worried about topping up your gas and electricity , contact your supplier straight away. Many suppliers have put in place provisions to help anyone self-islolating for 2 weeks and unable to go out and top up their credit.
- British Gas – 0333 202 9802
- EDF – 0333 200 5100
- EON – 0345 052 000
- N Power – 0800 073 3000
- Scottish Power – 0800 027 0072
- SSE – 0345 026 2658
Worried about bills?
BHA work with the charity Groundworks on their Green Doctors scheme. If you are worried about your fuel and electricity costs increasing due to the Coronavirus outbreak please get in touch with them for free help and advice.
For more information on the Green Doctors scheme please visit https://www.groundwork.org.uk/projects/green-doctors-london/ or call 0300 365 3005 to book your appointment.
Mental Health Support – don’t suffer in silence
- Samaritans – freephone 116 123
- Help on your Doorstep – 020 3931 6080 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age UK Islington – 020 7281 6018
Test and Trace Self Isolation Support payments
Residents whose earnings are affected by staying at home and isolating for 14 days, may be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment Scheme. Please contact We Are Islington for more information on how to apply.
Beware of Scams
Sadly, there have been reports of Coronavirus-related scams circulating around the vaccine, test and trace and others. Always be vigilant and careful with your personal details. If you are unsure, hang up or close the website and verify it independently.
- Islington Council Services & Coronavirus
- Symptoms of coronavirus and how to avoid it on the NHS website
- Use the 111 online coronavirus service if you feel you need medical help
- Guidance on how the UK is affected by coronavirus (GOV.UK is updated daily and is the best source of reliable information)